Friday, 24 September 2021

Terrain- Train Tracks

I've long wanted to add some railway-type stuff to my gaming table. I've looked longingly at Sarissa's lovely trains and tracks and then glanced forlornly at my threadbare wallet... (Sob...) My spirits were lifted when I noticed TT Combat's additions to the railway theme in their World War range. I've got several other buildings from that range and have no complaints about TT Combat MDF kits. They're cheaper to buy, and so can be a bit simpler in design, but not always. To this end, I purchased the Railway station and signal box kit, and a more recent Soviet railway kit including an engine shed and some railroad clutter. Each of those kits comes with plenty of track pieces.

Straight away, I got to making up the tracks from the Soviet kit. Ten straight sections allowed me to make enough to cross my gaming table and be a starter for other railway elements to arrive in the future. I made four longer sections by joining two sections together and kept two shorter sections separate for different table sizes. 


I based the MDF sections on the same waterproof tablecloth that I used for my rivers. It's thin, cuts easily and doesn't raise the tracks up too high from the table. I want to create some raised track embankments that I'll simply lay these pieces on top of, eventually, but that is a project for the future...

Ballast came from World War Scenics in a nice, big bag. I've got plenty left for the rest of the track sections left to build. I'll probably make a ballast mound with some of the leftovers as a thematic bit of clutter for around the engine shed once it's built. Then, I just need to get me some choo choos...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terrain- Small Park

I've been wanting to include some terrain features on my tables that include some iron railings. I ordered a set of spiked railings from...